Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Ride to Forget

I hate public transportation. This is not new for me; however, I have always disliked airplanes, busses, metros, etc. Having my own car was a luxury I never fully understood until I went to visit a city where public transportation was the only option. My sisters in London use it daily, and the last time I was there, I had a nervous breakdown because someone left their gym bag on the tube. Everyone knows to keep an eye out for sketchy bags, but apparently I am the only one who thought this unattended luggage could be a problem.

I recently made the decision to sell my car and rely solely on public transportation. Being within the city, I have little use for a car and it is an unneeded expense for my father to continue paying for repairs and insurance. I can honestly say that I have never missed my car so much.

Public transportation can either be really great, or really, really terrible. With the times that I ride the metro or take a bus, it is more likely that it is terrible. I don’t understand the Metro system and how they can scam you for so much money. Two stops on the red line should not be more than $2.00, but since I am riding at “peak of the peak,” anything goes.

The other day, after cramming my way into one of the Metro cars, the doors closed and I was trying to avoid human contact from any unknown disease carrier or sweaty stranger. Normally I succeed in this by finding a corner of the train and keeping to myself for the five minute ride. This particular ride was not going to go my way, I could feel it. I did not find a spot that was suitable for me and knew that an odd looking man had shoved me into the train in order to fit in himself. As I held onto the pole next to me I felt a strange air on my left arm. When I looked over, the man who had so graciously pushed me was now sniffing my arm like this was a completely normal occurrence.

I stared at this man curiously and gave him a look as if to say “what on earth are you doing and can you stop immediately.” He did not understand my look and nudged closer to me. With nowhere to go, I had no choice but to let this strange man continue to smell my arm. As I have mentioned, I do not like to be touched, so when a stranger’s dirty nose is on my arm, I know to change my method of transportation to something a little less confined.

Yesterday, I decided to take the bus to work. I can only take the bus on days where I am really truly awake because of an incident I had a few weeks ago. I got on the bus and fell asleep and missed my stop by a mile and a half forcing me to run to work in order to get there on time. I now know to be fully alert on the bus so that I do not miss my stop again.

The bus was great. It was empty and I was able to get two seats to myself without the thought of having someone smell me. Just as I was getting comfortable, a man came on the bus and asked me if someone was sitting next to me. Clearly, no one was however there was an entire bus of empty seats. The man sat next to me for 15 minutes before exiting, staring at me the entire time. I do not know which one I prefer, the sniffer or the staring man. At least with the sniffer I did not have to make uncomfortable eye contact constantly until I finally was let off at my stop.

I realize that having a car would be a lot more trouble than dealing with the weirdo’s in the city, however, sometimes I really wish there was a better way to get to work. Sometimes it is nice to interact with some of the special people that live in the District, but often it is just discomforting. When I am standing on the platform with a friend and an old man is staring at me because according to my friend “he thinks you are a prostitute and wants to know how much,” that’s when I know it is time to figure out another method of transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment