Wednesday, October 5, 2011

An Impatient Bonus

I am not a patient person. Slow drivers, slow walkers, slow talkers, etc. all irritate me beyond belief. When people make mistakes, I expect that they fix them in a fast and effective manner. When people see me speed walking down the street, I expect that they move to one side so that I can get by them quickly. And when I am in a hurry, I expect that people talk to me quickly so I can pretend to listen and leave immediately. Usually none of this happens, and recently I have been dealing with some class A idiots.

I moved into my apartment recently and knew that I would need internet and cable, a staple in my world. After doing some research, I learned that Comcast was the only available service in my building, so I unhappily scheduled an appointment for Comcast to come out on Monday afternoon.

I have had problems with Comcast in the past. In my previous apartment, the technician who came to install my cable used my personal information to call and text me on a daily basis asking if I have a boyfriend because he wanted to “show me a good time.” This same technician also went into my refrigerator and helped himself to my soda without a care in the world, I was clearly not pleased with this particular worker.

This time around, I hoped that I would not have to deal with people like this, but it seems I was very wrong. The only available time for the technician to come was between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m., therefore requiring that I work from home that afternoon. When the technician did not show up at 5:00, I called Comcast to complain and they informed the technician that he needed to show up immediately. Thirty minutes later, in strolled two men who did not seem to have any clue as to what they were doing.

As I watched them plug wire after wire into my extension cord, I knew that something was going to go terribly wrong. Just as I suspected, they plugged the extension cord into the wall and a huge shock went off in my living room. It was 7:00 p.m., Comcast was still in my apartment, and I now had a ruined outlet to deal with on another day.

The technician told me that he had ruined the box he had brought and would have to come back the following day. Irritated at the stupidity of it all, I explained that I could not take more time off and it would need to be a later appointment. Tuesday rolls around and I am waiting for the technician to come… for three hours. I decided it was time to call Comcast and give them a piece of my mind.

I love screaming at people. When my friends have problems, they often ask me to contact customer service for them. I think that people deserve the quality they are promised, and if it is not given, something needs to be done to make up for that. Comcast promises the best customer service that they can give so I was surely going to use that against them.

After an hour on the phone with Darnelle, she informed me that she would need to call me back after getting in touch with my technician. Darnelle never called back. I then got in touch with another customer service representative who was clearly brand new to the team. I explained that I refused to pay installation fees and required a different technician show up immediately.

Immediately was two days later. I am still waiting for the correct cable to be installed. I have to take yet another day off of work and I need to listen to two more technicians talk to their wives, girlfriends, sisters, etc. on the phone while they do a barely decent job of installing my cable and internet. What I will say is that Comcast has followed through on their customer service beliefs. They gave me a significant credit, waived the installation fee, and even dropped the monthly cost of my DVR.

My parents have always told me that I need to be more tolerant of people; that this will benefit me in the long run. Well Mom and Dad, look who just saved nearly $100 on my cable bill. How’s that for “good things come to those who wait?”

No comments:

Post a Comment