Monday, July 11, 2011

A Future Unknown

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” A common question every parent or teacher asks their eager children. Some kids want to be an astronaut, some want to be a doctor, some want to be a lawyer, the list goes on. When my parents asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I gave this idea some thought. If I could be anything in the world, I told them, I would want to be a book on a shelf. My sister claims that I said I wanted to be a book and a shelf, but I think at the age of three I knew I couldn’t be two things at once, so I’m sticking with my story of a book on a shelf. Yes, 19 years later, I do realize this dream will never become a reality, but now looking back I can’t help but think how good that lifestyle could be. The only worry I would have is when is someone going to dust me or read me instead of when is someone going to hire me and let me move out of my parents’ house?

If I could have it my way I would be sitting in a foreign country writing about the experiences I am having fulfilling my dream job. I would tell all of my readers all about my world travels and would finally follow through on the deal I made with each of my friends to pick a place to travel with me. Instead I am sitting in my parents office in the house I grew up in. I am still in the clothes I wore to sleep and have no intentions of changing as I have no intentions of moving locations. My college roommate will most definitely be reading this while thinking, that girl is a useless mongrel; she would be correct.

It is not by any means my goal to live this lifestyle, despite what my parents may think. While I am quite happy having my meals cooked for me, a roof over my head, and some occasional spending money, I am not by any means comfortable. Comfortable is walking down the hall of your apartment building (where your parents do not live) and seeing what your friends are cooking. Comfortable is having a bad night and crawling into bed with your roommate so she can give you some sort of ridiculous pick-me-up that most likely has no bearing on your life. Comfortable is NOT your father slamming your door open at 9 a.m. telling you to wake up because people are pounding down the door to hire you; and yes this happens on a daily basis.

I cannot say exactly what the focus of this blog will be as I do not know what tomorrow will bring me. My passion in life is writing and having graduated from College, I am doing less and less of it. This is my way of bringing a little bit of entertainment into everyone’s lives by giving insight into the lifestyle of an unemployed college graduate. My goal is to one day become a travel journalist so if I happen to travel somewhere exotic like New York or Washington, DC (the only vacations I can afford at the moment), I hope to update my readers on these adventures. Fortunately for me, about 90 percent of my friends are unemployed and their stories are just as entertaining, if not more. My blog is essentially an overview of what it is like to leave our little college bubble and why we all wish we had failed senior year.

Anthony Bourdain once said, "I, a product of the New Frontier and Great Society, honestly believed that the world pretty much owed me a living; all I had to do was wait around in order to live better than my parents." This is my inspiration, and this is who I aspire to become. While I may not believe that the world owes me, I do hope that my dream job will fall into my lap, and until then, I will be here waiting for a reason to change out of last night's clothes.

2 comments:

  1. You definitely wanted to be a book ON a shelf, you are correct in your memories. However, your fear of never being dusted or read are very real fears now in the age of the Kindle! You would never come off of your shelf. Me personally, I would read you, savouring every page that I turn, waiting to read that next chapter. Since that isn't likely to happen, as it would be hard for you to become an inanimate object, until you are published, I will follow your blog like a loyal follower should and enjoy every entry! Good job and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these years I thought you wanted to be a "book shelf!"

    ReplyDelete